2021 COPL RFP Now Open
The American Orthotic and Prosthetic Association (AOPA), in conjunction with the Center for Orthotic and Prosthetic Learning and Outcomes/Evidence-Based Practice (COPL) and its Board of Directors, is pleased to announce its 2021 Request for Pilot Grant Proposals. Proposals are being accepted in 10 areas of orthotic and prosthetic research including an open topic.
For 2021-2022, the association is seeking proposals at two funding levels for one-time grants, $15,000 and up to two exceptional proposals for $30,000 for one year. Preference will be given to grants that address evidence-based clinical application in orthotics and prosthetics. View the RFP topics and guidelines.
The deadline for all proposals has been extended to May 14, 2021. Apply online.
If you have any questions, please contact AOPA’s Director of Strategic Alliances Ashlie White at awhite@AOPAnet.org or 571/431-0812.
What is the Center for O&P Learning (COPL)?
The general purpose of the Center is to promote research and education within the field of orthotics and prosthetics. Educational initiatives will focus on clinical education for professionals as well as external efforts to inform the general public and health care community on topics relating to orthotics and prosthetics, including as relevant to patient care. Research objectives will include advancement of knowledge and technologies in orthotics and prosthetics, enhancement of evidence-based medicine research capabilities, and patient-oriented outcomes designed to ensure that the needs of patients are best served.
Board of Directors
- Shane Wurdeman, (AOPA) Chair
- Susan Kapp (AAOP)
- Scott Williamson (At Large)
- Don Shurr (At Large)
- Wayne Rosen (BOC)
- Susannah Engdahl (NAAOP)
- Christopher Wallace (ABC)
- Sheryl Sachs (NCOPE)
- Mary Richards (Amputee Coalition)
2020 – 2021 Funded Studies:
- Sarah R. Chang, PhD, “Develop Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines for Vacuum-Assisted Socket Suspension Systems”
- Jonathan D. Day, “Non-invasive method for quantifying progress of healing after transtibial amputation: a pilot study”
- Michael Dillon, PhD, “Describe the population receiving orthotic/prosthetic services using telehealth, and their experience and satisfaction with those services”
- Erik Hansen, MD, “The Effect of Osteoarthritis Bracing on Community Involvement, A Pilot Study”
- Natalie Harold, CPO, “Development of a Customizable Outcome Measures Electronic Toolkit (COMET)”
- Rebecca M. Miro, PhD, CP, MBA, CRA, “Prosthetic, functional, and clinical outcomes among female amputees: A scoping project o include a systematic review and 10-year retrospective record review of female Veterans with limb loss”
More information on the grantees’ projects available here.
Previously Funded Studies:
- Leigh Clarke, B.PO, MPH, “Patient and payor perspective of the benefit of prosthetic interventions and services: informing measures for future health economic evaluations.”
- Reza Safari, PhD, “Activity, Mobility, Social Functioning, Mental Health and Quality of Life Outcomes in Limited Mobility Transfemoral and Knee Disarticulation Amputees Using Microprocessor-Controlled Knees or Non-Microprocessor Controlled Knees in the United Kingdom: A Cohort Study.”
- Jenny A. Kent, PhD, “Vacuum Assisted Suspension: The effect of residuum-socket interface integrity on perception and control in individuals with a transtibial amputation.”
- Christopher Hovorka, PhD, CPO, LPO, FAAOP, “Quality of life, satisfaction, gait and motion control outcomes of articulated passive dynamic, non-articulated passive dynamic and solid ankle foot orthoses in hemiparetic stroke survivors.”
- Geoff Balkman, BA, MS, CPO “Large-scale administration and calibration of a patient-reported item bank for assessing mobility of lower limb orthosis users”
- Balkman, Geoff, BA, MS, CPO, “Development of a Mobility Outcome Measure for People who use Lower Limb Orthoses”
- John DesJardins, PhD, “The Quantification of Containment Conditions Used for Directed Growth Within Infant Cranial Remolding Orthoses: A Pilot Study”
- Sun Hae Jang, M.Sc., CO, FAAOP, “Normative Values, Reliability, and Validity of the Global Visual Gait Assessment for Measuring Orthotic Biomechanical Outcomes for Use in Post-Stroke Patients”
- Shannon Mathis, Ph.D. “Gait Analysis Using Video: Defining K-Level in Lower-Limb Prosthesis Users”
- Shane Wurdeman, PhD, MSPO, CP, FAAOP, “Prospective Falls Analysis Among Lower Limb Prosthesis Users- Understanding the Role of Prostheses in Reducing Fall Risk”
- Eric Weber, CPO, FAAOP, “Longitudinal Tracking of Stability Events and AFO Compliance Among Stroke Survivors During Sub-Acute and Chronic Phases of Recovery”
- Sarah Anderson, La Trobe University, “Comparison of quality of life in people with partial foot or transtibial amputation”
- Brian Kaluf, BSE, CP, Ability Prosthetics and Orthotics, Inc., “Hydraulic and Microprocessor Controlled Ankle-Foot Prostheses for Limited Community Ambulators with Unilateral Transtibial Amputation: Pilot Study”
- Sarah Chang, PhD, Northwestern University, “A pilot study to evaluate the effects of the hydraulic ankle-foot prostheses on standing and walking in K2-level ambulators”
- Benjamin Padilla, MD, University of California San Francisco Benoiff Children’s Hospital, “The Effects of a Custom Pectus Carintum Orthosis on Dosing Response and Quality of Life”
- Eric Weber, CPO, FAAOP, Hanger Clinic – Department of Clinical and Scientific Affairs, “Mobility and Global Health among Users of Lower Limb Orthoses: The Establishment of a National Data Base”
- Chris Hovorka, Ph.D., CPO, LPO, FAAOP, Georgia Institute of Technology, “Gait and Motion Control Benefits of Custom Molded Passive-Dynamic AFOs versus Custom Fit Carbon Composite AFOs in Persons with Neuromuscular Impairment”
- Kenton Kaufman, PhD, Mayo Clinic, “Prevalence, correlates, and risk of prescription drug use and abuse in individuals with above knee amputations”
- Walter Lee Childers, PhD, MSPO, CP, Alabama State University, “Stumble recovery mechanisms utilized by people using different types of microprocessor knees”
- Kenton Kaufman, PhD, PT, Mayo Clinic, “Risk factors and costs associated with secondary health conditions of individuals with above-knee amputations”
- Staci Shearin, UT Southwestern, “Impact of Carbon Fibre AFOs on gait and resulting changes in quality of life across time in persons with PD”
- Nicholas LeCursi, CO, Becker Orthopedic Appliance Company, “Relative influence of orthotic support features within an open frame AFO versus a total contact AFO on function, endurance, and activity level in patients with spastic equinovarus secondary to chronic stroke”
- Ignacio Gaunaurd, PhD, MSPT, University of Miami, “Utilizing an innovative Timed-Up-and-Go test for fall risk detection in people with unilateral lower limb loss”
- Sai Vikas Yalla, PhD, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, “Activity Based Quality Life Assessment to Compare Prostheses with and without Microcontrollers in Transfemoral Amputees”
- Shane Wurdeman, PhD, MSPO, CP, FAAOP, Hanger Clinic – Department of Clinical and Scientific Affairs, “Improved mobility with lower limb prostheses: the establishment of a national multi-site outcomes database”
- Fan Gao, PhD, UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas. “Does Vacuum Assisted Socket System Improve Knee Proprioception and Dynamic Balance in Transtibial Amputees?”
- Jason Highsmith, PT, PhD, CP, FAAOP, University of South Florida, “Concurrent Validation of the Continuous Scale Physical Functional Performance Test (CS PFP-10) in Transfemoral Amputees”
- Jason Kahle, MSMS, CPO, FAAOP, The University of South Florida, School of PT and Rehab. “Transfemoral interfaces with vacuum assisted suspension comparison of biomechanics using the CAREn: Ischial containment versus brimless”